Thursday, July 18, 2013

Not Of This World

Let's talk a little bit on the ever so fickle concept of fitting in. It is very easy for me to feel like a I don't fit in. That's a feeling I experienced living in Georgia, and it's definitely been magnified in California. I'm sure I'm probably a little weird by many people's standards, maybe a little soft spoken (A great quality for a blogger I'm sure), and I don't always make a huge effort to put myself in any form of spotlight.

Going from a small town to a big city is an overwhelming undertaking. It almost forces you to break out of whatever shell you've locked yourself in, because if you don't, no one will ever know you were even here. 


I've been in Los Angeles for four weeks, and I still feel a bit like an outsider. It's probably one of those things that's just in my head, kind of like how every car and driver hates me and wants to murder me. 

It's a strange and different culture that I'm trying to get used to. Not just Southern California, but city culture. It's a bit of an uphill climb trying to find my element and occasionally I feel like I slide back down. But, sooner or later, every mountain has to crest.
 
I keep telling myself that every person who comes to this city feels the same way at first. At one point or another, we all feel like outcasts. I have found, however, that there is a major difference between fitting in and feeling like you belong.

Right before I left for Los Angeles, I went to see the new Superman film, Man of Steel. The story of Superman has always intrigued me. A boy born not of this world sent to save it, to be a symbol of hope, and to help the people accomplish wonders. It's inspiring on so many levels.

I hate being just another dude saying that I'm just like Superman, but I have to believe that I'm in this city for a reason. Whether it be to bring hope to those who have none, or to just lighten someone's day with a smile.

I'm sure there's a part of all of us, myself included, that can relate to Clark Kent. Of course, Clark Kent's issue wasn't that he had slightly baggier jeans than everyone else. Though he totally got the hipster glasses down. He was an outcast. He was an outsider. But, he had purpose and destiny.

We all have a purpose and a destiny. It's different for every single person, and sometimes we have to stand out in a different crowd in order to fulfill that purpose. You have to choose to be your own person before you can change the world. The best version of yourself is the one that transcends the ways of the crowd.

I've found that it's okay to be overwhelmed and it's okay to be a little intimidated sometimes. As long as you don't let it stop you from fulfilling your purpose. 


As long as you don't let it stop you from changing the world.

                                                                              



No comments:

Post a Comment